User Experience Designer (2-4 Years Experience)
Chicago, IL (Remote)
About Fuzzy Math
Fuzzy Math is a leading user experience design, strategy, and innovation consultancy in Chicago. We work with clients of all sizes across industries, from covert startups to Fortune 500 household names like Hyatt, GE Healthcare, Microsoft, and Threadless. We work across the user experience space, including design for mobile, web, and emerging technologies. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver fantastic results with small, agile teams. We’re dedicated to user experience design, from top to bottom — everyone is involved in UX work.
Do Good Work. Be Good People.
Good work can’t be done without creating a sense of belonging, understanding, and empathy. We strive for every team member at Fuzzy Math to feel they have a voice and we promote a value add culture over value fit. We have regular pulse surveys and retros with team members to give people space to talk, reflect, and discuss issues going on in projects and processes at Fuzzy Math. We encourage team members to get involved with internal initiatives and welcome changes that create opportunities for us to do better work and be better people.
Beyond our client work, we strive to give back through charitable giving and pro bono projects. We’re an active member of both the design community and the Chicago community at large.
Grow With Us
We are always looking for new talent and people who value diversity, celebrate differences, and encourage people to be their authentic selves. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Reach out to us to connect, we would love to meet you!
- 12 designers
- 2 co-founders
- 2 administrative
- 1 scary, but friendly clown mascot named Karl
- 5 children and lots of pets
We’re looking for an established designer with strong communication skills and the desire to collaborate with other interdisciplinary designers to join our tight-knit team. As a UX designer at Fuzzy Math, you will get to work with a mixture of different industries including nonprofits, healthcare, and finance and help clients around the world by using the human centered design process. UX designers are involved with research, strategy, and interaction design.
What You Will Bring and Do
- Contribute to all phases of the HCD design process (including research, user testing and interviews, synthesis and interaction design)
- Interest and ability to work on more than one client project at a time
- Conceptualize, present and explain design decisions effectively, internally and with clients
- Interest in contributing to the culture and success of Fuzzy Math outside of client projects
- Collaborate, communicate and provide direct feedback with other UX and Visual designers
- Interest and experience in solving complex problems
- Strength in storytelling and presenting work and ideas
- Prioritize and manage work for multiple project timelines
- Confidence and practiced experience executing on the full HCD design process to create user centered, accessible design solutions
- Designing solutions that provide value to the client needs as well as user needs and understanding broader business goals
- Bring new ideas and discoveries to processes and design solutions
- Proficient in managing tasks at hand while also having the foresight of what is ahead
- Collaborate seamlessly with small project teams and work with team leads to drive projects forward
- Critically think through and execute on feedback from team members and clients
- 2-4 years of UX work experience
- Has worked on real products (i.e. not academic exercises) that have utilized the full HCD design process (including research, user testing and interviews, synthesis and interaction design)
- Proficiency in Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, or other industry relevant design tools
- Able to work in the Central time zone
- Practiced consultant is a plus
- General knowledge of the visual design process as it applies to the UX design field
- Skills in high fidelity UI production and prototyping (using Figma a plus)
What We Care About
- Your passion for design and the HCD process
- Your empathy for users
- Your interest in working at Fuzzy Math
- Your ability to show and talk through your thought process
- What you value
- And most importantly *insert your name here*
What We Care Less About
- Whether you have a degree
- Where you went to school
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary and bonuses
- Flexible hours
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Short and long term disability
- Continuing education and conferences stipend
- Breakfast and Snack budget
- No dress code
- Entire office closed down for final two weeks of the year
- Frequent team outings and activities (in the past these have included: walking tours, bike trips, kayaking, bowling and Cubs games, but we’re always looking for new ideas!)
- Remote team activities – We have taken the same playful spirit of our team outings and have brought them from the comfort of our homes! We have held events that involve virtual storytelling workshops and game based play like Pictionary, scavenger hunts, jeopardy, and trivia! (we can get pretty competitive with the trivia games).
To begin the process please submit your resume and portfolio website link (or pdf) with the application survey questionnaire. If the skills and values sound like you, we will reach out for an initial phone interview.