UX Design Intern
Internship (June-Aug 2020)
Fuzzy Math is a user experience design, strategy, and innovation consultancy in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood. We’re dedicated to user experience design, from top to bottom — everyone is involved in UX work. We are actively seeking one interesting, talented person to join us this summer as a UX Design intern. This internship will allow you to learn by doing as you’ll be fully integrated into our team delivering on client projects and our summer pro-bono project.
Our summer internship is three months of full-time (40 hours/week), paid, practical experience in how user-centered design methodologies are applied in a design consultancy. These methods will include performing primary research, synthesizing research, ideating/concepting, and designing interactive experiences. You’ll not only work alongside a group of talented practitioners, but you’ll be expected to contribute and share your own approach.
We love our work, but we also love giving back. Do good work. Be good people. is one of our core principles. Beyond our client work, we strive to give back through charitable giving and pro bono projects. A few of our past summer pro-bono projects interns have been able to work on include: UCAN, VING Project, Active Transportation Alliance, and DBSA to name a few.
As a UX intern at Fuzzy Math, your primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Actively taking part in design reviews internally and with clients
- Planning and performing user research, interviews, and usability testing
- Synthesizing research findings into user personas, scenarios and journey maps
- Creating low-fidelity wireframes and linking them together into clickable prototypes
- Working closely with project team members, including UX and visual designers, project leads, and project managers
We’d love an email from you if
- You have a portfolio we can take a look at
- You’re within a year of graduating (graduate or undergraduate) from a program in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human-Centered Design, Interaction Design, or other related field
- You’re available for 12 weeks in Chicago at the beginning of June 2020
- You have a solid understanding of a user-centered design process
- You’ve designed for web or mobile as part of coursework or previous internship
- You are a great collaborator
- You’re proactive and don’t mind asking questions
- You have an eye for detail and a pride in your work
- You are eager to learn new processes and open to critique
- You have the permanent, legal right to work in the US — we do not currently sponsor visas
Benefits of a FM internship
As part of our team this summer, you’ll have the benefit of:
- 1:1 mentorship
- Feedback from and collaboration with our tight-knit design team
- Content for and guidance on your portfolio
- Exposure to multiple projects across industries and platforms
- Learning and growth opportunities relevant to your specific goals
- Practice presenting work to clients and other designers
Additional perks include:
- Modern studio space easily accessible by public transportation
- Awesome co-workers
- Free breakfast and snacks
- No dress code
- Frequent team outings (in the past these have included: walking tours, bike trips, kayaking, bowling, Cubs games, and we’re always looking for new ideas)
Here’s a quick rundown of our internship timeline:
Applications are open! Submit away!
We stop accepting applications, last day to submit.
By April 10th
We do our best to let all applicants know a final decision by early April at the latest.
June – August
Internship at FM HQ!
How to Apply
Please send an email to email@example.com. with your resume, portfolio, and a brief intro about why you think an internship at Fuzzy Math aligns with your goals, experience, and skills. We’ll reply as soon as possible.